Chicken Broccoli Braid
For the last few months, my life has became very busy, and the lack of time is the main reason I can’t spend as much time on cooking as I used to. Even though I feel my days are always too short, still I try not to give up on preparing meals by myself and looking for the new, interesting recipes. Chicken broccoli braid is one of those perfect recipes – clever, easy and most of all very delicious. It looks quite complicated, but in practice it’s quick and does nor require a lot of effort. To make my chicken broccoli braid I usually use puff pastry (I’m a huge fan); although, it’ tastes great with pizza or crescent roll dough too. You can also spice it up a little bit with various vegetables like red peppers, spinach or mushrooms. It all depends on your taste and creativity.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
– 1 boneless chicken breast
– 1 cup cheese (Cheddar will be fine), shredded
– half broccoli
– 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
– 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 egg
– salt and pepper to taste
- First prepare all the ingredients: wash the chicken and the broccoli, chop the garlic.
- Prepare the lemon zest.
- Cut the chicken in small pieces and put in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and zest, garlic, olive oil, about ¼ Tsp. Salt and pinch of pepper, mix all together and leave on the site for about 20 minutes.
- Chop the broccoli florets and boil them in salted water for about 5 minutes, then leave aside on paper towel to soak. Meanwhile heat the pan (spray it first with a little bit of cooking oil) and cook the chicken until golden brown. Leave to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the puff pastry on a baking sheet. Spread the chicken and broccoli in the center of the dough and top with some cheese. Then, using a sharp knife, cut about 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) wide strips in towards the center (see the picture below, step 1). Fold the side strips over the filling, alternating strips from each side, to form the braid (step 2). Brush the braid with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Place the braid in the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
If you manage to try this great recipe, don’t forget to let me know how was it:) Enjoy!